FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018
Media Contact: John Guilfoil
West Newbury, Groveland and Merrimac Police Departments Offer Halloween Safety Tips
With Halloween now just weeks away, Chief Art Reed, Chief Jeffrey Gillen and Chief Eric Shears and the West Newbury, Groveland and Merrimac Police Departments want to remind families of several important safety tips as they prepare to take their children trick-or-treating.
Trick-or-treating hours in all three communities will occur on Wednesday, Oct. 31, from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Chiefs Reed, Shears and Gillen wish to offer residents of their respective communities the following tips to help ensure everyone has a fun and safe Halloween.
- Only approach well-lit houses and always travel in small groups
- Wear clothing that is bright, reflective and flame retardant
- Use flashlights for guidance on sidewalks, walkways and when crossing the street
- Make sure masks have eye-holes large enough to see any tripping hazards or oncoming traffic, and mouth openings large enough to breathe easily
- Practice safe street-crossing by using crosswalks and walk signals
- Wear sturdy shoes and temperature appropriate clothing under costumes
Parents and guardians should:
- Supervise children under 12 years old
- Establish a designated curfew for older children
- Make sure children are wearing safe costumes that fit well and don’t drag on the ground
- Apply reflective tape to your child’s arms, legs and treat bags
- Assure costume accessories such as swords and other pointed objects are made with soft and safe materials
- Keep inside and outside lights on during trick-or-treat hours
- Avoid placing lit candles and jack-o-lanterns on doorsteps and walkways where costumes could brush against them and cause burns or fire
- Only hand out candy that is packaged and wrapped
- Avoid handing out small toys that could cause choking or lead poisoning for small children
Additionally, any suspicious person or vehicle should immediately be reported to the West Newbury Police Department at 978-363-1212, the Merrimac Police Department at 978-346-8321 or the Groveland Police Department at 978-521-1212.